Australia’s leading multi-screen media network, MCN has redefined the entertainment advertising model by combining high value national subscription TV audiences with the largest broadcast-quality digital video network in Australia. MCN represents the advertising interests of 71 subscription television channel brands across Foxtel, 74 premium digital publishers websites, 67 apps, 3 IPTV services, and 31 Digital-Out-Of-Home screens within 19 premium shopping centres nationally.
Edwards + Co has been retained continuously by MCN since 2012 for corporate and commercial legal services. Amongst the many matters we have advised MCN on are:
- Ongoing legal contract work with respect to core ad sales representation agreements with television broadcast channels and digital publishers, and with advertisers and agencies that book sponsorship and advertising. This includes completely rethinking and redrafting the standard form of TV and digital ad sales representation agreements to “future-proof” them for a digital era where content is increasingly agile, all media and everywhere;
- Negotiation, documentation and ongoing legal advisory since 2013 with respect to the ground-breaking new Multiview audience analytics and insights platform, Australia’s largest TV audience panel. Multiview brings together the data assets and knowledge of Foxtel, MCN, National Australia Bank and Woolworths, through a SaaS platform built and maintained by data analytics processor Quantium;
- All legal aspects of contracting arrangements with vendors and agency clients and publishers with respect to programmatic TV platforms, including the establishment of the new MCN owned and operated SMARTHUB platform in 2018;
- Drafting of legal terms and related documentation with respect to the acquisition of advertising sales rights for online properties forming the Telstra digital advertising network, including legal arrangements to migrate and cut over management of the ad sales function to MCN;
- Corporate and commercial advisory with respect to key legal aspects of MCN’s ad sales rep arrangements for Network Ten, including the ad sales agreements, shareholder agreement and relations and subsequent separation arrangements;
- Ongoing advice with respect to corporate investment, board representation and shareholder agreement aspects of MCN’s founding interest in television industry think-tank and focus group, Think TV, which brought together representatives of the major subscription and free-to-air channels in Australia;
- Negotiation and documentation of multiple large Digital-Out-Of-Home advertising and sponsorship distribution deals with digital signage networks of premium shopping centres nationally;
- Data and privacy compliance advice and recommendations with respect to the increasingly complex and onerous new data and privacy laws in Australia and overseas, including the new Notifiable Data Breach Scheme in Australia and the GDPR of the European Union.